Second Day Of 100-Day Test Sees Slight Weight Gain On 70-Minute Run

Day 442

When looked at in a vacuum, today may look like a failure. After all, I did gain .2 kg, which was from a rise to 76.8 from 76.6 kg. However, to determine whether you maintain weight, you must look at the overall Big Picture. Looking at the first 2 days of my 100-day test, I am at the exact breakeven point. So the first two days are a weight maintenance success. When you read these blog posts, keep in mind that the goal of this experiment is not to produce a weight loss. I am in weight maintenance phase, not weight loss phase. It’s just that I will have to lose some in recovery periods.

Today’s starting weight was 76.6, and I was off to a somewhat bad start by 4:30 in the afternoon. I had risen to 78.2. However, that was still well below 2.0 kg, which is still a rough guideline of the amount over which I should not increase on a daily basis.

I didn’t track my weight very closely the rest of the night, but there was definitely an effort not to overeat and go over the 2.0 mark. After sleeping, I was back down to 77.5 kg, which was .9 kg over the starting weight.

In this situation, a 90-minute run would almost guarantee breaking even or even losing a little. But I made it even a little worse by eating and drinking a little before the exercise session. Thus, I was actually 77.6. Again, I would have had to run 90 minutes in this situation to avoid a likely daily weight gain. But I am now in flexible exercise testing and didn’t really feel like running 90 minutes.

The results were pretty bad. I was 76.9, for a loss of only .7. I was hoping for at least .8. It was about time to weigh in, so I went to the bathroom and had a final daily weigh-in of 76.8 kg. This put me .2 kg over for the day, up from 76.6.

So here are the results of the first two days of my test:

Day 1: 90 minutes – lost .2 kg – 76.8 to 76.6
Day 2: 70 minutes – gained .2 kg – 76.6 to 76.8
overall minutes under 90 per day: 20
duration average: 80 minutes

Looking at these numbers, you can see that I broke even across the first 2 days despite having one pretty good day and one pretty bad one. However, I already shaved off 20 minutes from the max total time of 180 (90 minutes x 2). Instead of 180 minutes, my total time was 160 minutes. Hopefully, I can break even averaging less than 80 minutes on daily runs (on average). But at least I am already seeing signs that this system can work. Things went pretty bad the day after this when doing a 64-minute run, but that was mostly because of that shorter run and another poor result. I’ll probably have to run 90 minutes on Day 443.

Overall, I am happy with the progress of this test. The one thing I really want is to be able to run less than 90 minutes a substantial period of time. I hope that “substantial” is approaching or even exceeding 50 percent in this context.

Leave a Reply